Sunday, April 17, 2011

A place for an Angel: Alexis' Nursery

I am the lucky Mom of 3 kids.  Alexis is the third and final one, so her first months have been bittersweet.  I love babies...their unconditional love, sweet gummy smiles, and baby-soft skin.  They take my breath away.  Consequently, I wanted my final nursery to do just that.  A beautiful haven in which to spend those precious moments.

Back to reality for a second.  I'm pregnant, still working part time, and I have 4 year old twins who are, to put it mildly, rather demanding.  So, this nursery actually did not get totally finished until a few months after Alexis was born.  But, I enjoyed every second of designing this nursery from scratch.  So, without further ado, here is the finished project:

Ta da!!

Actually, this nursery was mostly done before her birth, but I could not come to a final decision on her name.  Tsk tsk...I know I know.  You're supposed to have a name picked out before you go to the hospital.....!?!  Yes, that's me...always last minute and always indecisive.  I was between 3 names.  But, when I saw her sweet little face, calm and poised,  I knew she could be none other than Alexis...protector of mankind!  Sweet, strong, and sassy all in one.  So, I needed a great big "A"!!  This monogram went through a number of failed incarnations.  It was the centerpiece above the crib, the focal point in the room, and most importantly, a representation of my sweet little one's beautiful namesake.  Nothing I tried had the impact I wanted....




 ...until I framed out the initial in a big, fat, gold (and ugly I might add) Victorian frame, spray painted ballet slipper pink.  And Voila...I had impact!

I started with the intent of having a more modern, sleek, hip type of nursery.  I had seen lots I fell in love with on HGTV, and other blogs.  But, in the end, this project really took on a mind of its own.  It started with a quilt and baby bumper from Restoration Hardware...mostly because the paint color in the room was Silver sage, and also from RH.  I know, you should never decorate a room around an existing paint color.  That is the cheapest and easiest to change.  But, I LOVE the color.  It is my favorite color, and I have used it in other rooms in my house, such as the guest bath and playroom.  So, that was the original inspiration.  As I was saying...I wanted to go in a more modern direction.  Blue for a girl (unheard of, right?), no cutesy barnyard animals, or butterflies.  Just a clean, fresh room.  Well, modern went out the window when I got the white curtains up, took one look at the brown, white and robin's egg blue, and said to myself....ugh...I need pink.  This is just not feeling right.  It was cold...not feminine enough.  It needed a girly flair.  So, with a healthy injection of pink, some cottage accessories, and some ribbon and bows, the project went from sleek to romantic very quickly, and I couldn't be happier with how this project evolved.  Here are some of the reasons this project looks so soft, serene, and decidedly, un-modern.....


Fluffy pink bears, time worn signs and sayings

There are those butterflies, ribbon and bows

Ruffles and flowers


Mirrors, modern in shape, but embossed with Fleur de Lis and covered in pink paint





Those of you who know me know how I love my draperies.  They are, in my opinion, the icing on the cake in a room.  Some people go nutty over color, or accessories, or artwork.  For me, a room is never really finished without it's clothes...curtains!  Luckily, I am a self taught seamstress.  Not a very good one, but certainly adequate for the types of drapes I like, that being mostly straight panels.  Those of you who know me also know how I love a good canopy.  It adds such a strong focal point to a bed, and softens hard bed frame lines.  It is for me, a solution to that area above the headboard...the one I can never seem to get right!!  In this room, I had to conceal an unsightly attic door, so a canopy was perfect!  Here is a closer look at the canopies and curtains I designed, sewed, and hung (while teetering on a ladder, alone, and 8 months pregnant I might add)!  Once again, yes, that is me.  Sometimes not too bright, but if I get it in my head, it's getting done...now.    

Pretty Trim and bows were added for a more traditional feel

There's that door...you wouldn't even know it was there now...whew!

See what I mean about curtains and canopies?  They just dress the whole room. 


I hope you have enjoyed my little nursery tour.  I feel so blessed to have this amazing little person in my life.  This nursery is my small interpretation of the infinite love I have for her, and I feel like it represents her personality and demeanor. I know I have enjoyed this project, my final nursery.  Just another page of my decorography.

What's your story?
Lynette

I've linked to:











12 comments:

  1. This is absolutely beautiful! It looks like a magazine! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very pretty! And I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful room! I'm an Alexis, too, and in love the big, bold "A"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I love your name :-) Thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this nursery! I posted on the HGTV website as well but then found your blog. I have printed pics of this nursery for my inspiration...thank you so much for sharing! I wanted to find out where you got the crib...can you tell me who makes it? It is just what I'm looking for...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mandy! Glad you like it!! Here is the link for the furniture. I hope you can find a retailer near you. I know the store here in Houston stopped carrying Natart. It is AWESOME though. Pricey for baby furniture, but really good quality. Self closing drawers, solid wood, gorgeous finish. It has been so great for the last 5 years for us. Not a chip or dent anywhere http://www.natartjuvenile.com/safe-kids-baby-furniture-collections/chelsea-furniture

    ReplyDelete
  7. This nursery is absolutely STUNNING!! I mean, magazine worthy for sure! Every detail is just soft and lovely and so sweet. Your entire blog is wonderful and I've had fun looking at your other posts with pics of your gorgeous home. Thanks for sharing this at Inspiration Friday and we look forward to seeing lots more of you in the future! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous nursery... fit for a little princess!!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a beautiful job! I am just in awe of the whole room! Excellent self-taught seamstress. Be careful on those ladders. I just fell in October when the ladder slid down the wall and slammed into my foot breaking it! Still recovering. I never want that to happen to anyone else! Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found your site via At The Picket Fence link party and became a follower. Beautiful nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love your nursery! I purchased the bumper and quilt, but I couldn't find the pillow shams. I even set up a search on ebay. If you ever consider selling them, I'll be more than happy to buy them from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Bummer about the shams! I don't think I'll be getting rid of them anytime soon...the little one is only 18 months and not yet in her big girl bed. But, if things change, I'd be happy to contact you! Shoot your email to lynetteelms@hotmail.com. For some reason I can't view your profile here! Thanks for your sweet comment! I bet your nursery is super cute!

      Delete